Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Homemade Cream Cheese Icing


Right now all of my friends are pregnant! Well at least three of them, and if you know one thing about pregnant women, you know they have CRAVINGS!!! When my friend Nicole was pregnant she had to have my pumpkin cheesecake with maple pecan glaze. And who would blame her, it's amazing and you really only get it around this time of year. But now my friend Ciji is pregnant and a new pumpkin related craving has emerged. She is craving a pumpkin cupcake. She went to a local custom bakery and was told that for a specialty flavor she would have to order at least 2 dozen at around $2.50 a cupcake and they were not even going to let her taste it before she dropped the $60.00 to know if it was worth that amount change just to satisfy her craving. Lucky for her she has friend who loves to bake and can do it on a budget!!! Most people have a pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffin recipe, but the batter for breads/muffins is very dense and a very different texture from a light fluffy cake. Once again I scoured the web for a recipe, and I have to thank Betty Crocker because it's thier original recipe,  I just tweaked it a little, left a few ingredients out (and I just used the box mix brand I had on hand, sorry Betty). So here's an easy fix for your pumpkin craving even if you're not a baker.

Pumpkin Cupcakes
Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumkin pie mix)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions
mix all ingredients in a mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes. I use a med scoop to divide batter into cupcake pans, this gives you nice even cupcakes that bake evenly so you don't end up with one over flowing and one that is barely two bites. bake at 350 degree oven for 17-20 min. Top with cream cheese frosting recipe below.





see, equal batter makes nice and even cupcakes

Just a little extra sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice on top and you're done!
Enjoy Ciji, you're my girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment